Swiss driver Mathéo Tuscher posted the best lap time on day two of post-season testing at the Yas Marina Circuit with a 1:55.583. Italian driver Luca Ghiotto clocked the fastest time of the morning session with a 1:55.976.
The second day of post-season testing at the Yas Marina Circuit again got underway with beautiful sunshine and a light breeze as the drivers exited the pitlane, some of which had switched teams and some making their maiden appearance in a GP3 car.
Jenzer Motorsport’s Mathéo Tuscher was first to set the pace in the 1m57’s, but there was an early red flag when Colombian driver Tatiana Calderon went off at the armco at turn two. Trident’s Ghiotto led the way once the session resumed before Ferrari Academy driver Antonio Fuoco who had switched to Carlin for day two – flew to the top of the standings, the first driver to dip into the 1m56’s.
Alex Palou with French squad ART GP for his second day was able to better the Italian’s time to take P1, before the second red flag of the morning session occurred when Australian Dylan Young on his first day testing with Hilmer Motorsport spun at turn 7.
Fuoco was on a mission and in the final thirty minutes, he re-claimed his position at the head of the timesheet, one tenth faster than Palou. But Ghiotto lit up the timing screens with a 1:55.976 – first into the 1m55’s barrier to end the session fastest, with Jimmy Eriksson up to third. With eight minutes left on the clock Carlin’s Jack Aitken made contact with the barrier at turn 19. At the chequered flag it ended as Ghiotto, Fuoco, Eriksson, Palou, Seb Morris, Tuscher, Mitch Gilbert, Steijn Schothorst, Ralph Boschung and Alfonso Celis. Jr.
Following GP2’s turn on track, G3P returned to the track for their afternoon session. Gilbert headed the pack initially as the Australian was first into the 1m56’s, before Swede Eriksson snatched P1. Gilbert returned to the top of the timings when he was first to lap in the 1m55’s before Ghiotto recorded the best time of the session. Morris rose to second, displacing the Arden International driver as the clock ticked down.
The final part of the day saw many drivers opt for new Pirelli tyres (soft compound): Morris found some extra pace to take P1 ahead of Ghiotto, Palou and Fuoco, until Tuscher put in a flier to go top by a mere 0.008s. A red flag at the end of the session brought a premature close to the second day of the testing when Gilbert stopped at turn 9. At the chequered flag Tuscher headed Morris, Ghiotto, Palou, Eriksson, Fuoco, Matt Parry, Celis. Jr, Gilbert and Pizzitola.
The third and final day of testing will run at the same local times: 09.00 – 11.30 and 15.00 – 17.30 (GMT+4).
Yas Marina – Day 2 – Morning
Driver Team Laptime Laps
1. Luca Ghiotto Trident 1:55.976 27
2. Antonio Fuoco Carlin 1:56.183 27
3. Jimmy Eriksson Koiranen GP 1:56.208 19
4. Alex Palou ART Grand Prix 1:56.211 26
5. Seb Morris Status Grand Prix 1:56.226 29
6. Mathéo Tuscher Jenzer Motorsport 1:56.281 20
7. Mitch Gilbert Arden International 1:56.327 16
8. Steijn Schothorst Koiranen GP 1:56.398 20
9. Ralph Boschung Jenzer Motorsport 1:56.490 20
10. Alfonso Celis. Jr ART Grand Prix 1:56.722 27
11. Ryan Cullen Koiranen GP 1:56.750 19
12. Matt Parry Status Grand Prix 1:56.821 25
13. Raoul Hyman Jenzer Motorsport 1:56.909 31
14. Gustavo Menezes Status Grand Prix 1:57.301 27
15. Andrea Pizzitola Arden International 1:57.343 18
16. Ling Kang Hilmer Motorsport 1:57.434 25
17. Artur Janosz Arden International 1:57.598 25
18. Zaid Ashkanani Trident 1:57.603 23
19. Jack Aitken Carlin 1:57.619 26
20. Matt Rao Carlin 1:57.960 24
21. Tatiana Calderon ART Grand Prix 1:58.454 7
22. Amaury Bonduel Trident 1:58.611 19
23. Dylan Young Hilmer Motorsport 2.00.174 30
Day Two – Afternoon
Driver Team Laptime Laps
1. Mathéo Tuscher Jenzer Motorsport 1:55.583 25
2. Seb Morris Status Grand Prix 1:55.591 29
3. Luca Ghiotto Trident 1:55.603 33
4. Alex Palou ART Grand Prix 1:55.649 27
5. Jimmy Eriksson Koiranen GP 1:55.660 23
6. Antonio Fuoco Carlin 1:55.684 32
7. Matt Parry Status Grand Prix 1:55.744 31
8. Alfonso Celis. Jr ART Grand Prix 1:55.780 27
9. Mitch Gilbert Arden International 1:55.815 38
10. Andrea Pizzitola Arden International 1:55.830 34
11. Ralph Boschung Jenzer Motorsport 1:55.841 19
12. Steijn Schothorst Koiranen GP 1:55.888 20
13. Gustavo Menezes Status Grand Prix 1:55.924 29
14. Raoul Hyman Jenzer Motorsport 1:56.316 30
15. Jack Aitken Carlin 1:56.359 23
16. Tatiana Calderon ART Grand Prix 1:56.697 31
17. Ryan Cullen Koiranen GP 1:56.837 17
18. Artur Janosz Arden International 1:56.900 28
19. Zaid Ashkanani Trident 1:57.092 30
20. Ling Kang Hilmer Motorsport 1:57.114 35
21. Matt Rao Carlin 1:57.223 31
22. Armaury Bonduel Trident 1:57.418 33
23. Dylan Young Hilmer Motorsport 1:58.609 29