WET AND DRY
Pascal ends the day P17 after a well-timed lap before the heavens opened. Rio’s makes good progress between the two practice sessions
Free Practice 1 & 2, Formula 1 Grosser Preis von Ȍsterreich
Friday 1 July
Red Bull Ring, Spielberg
Pascal MRT05-03 FP1 P16 34 laps 1:09.775 / FP2 P17 20 laps 1:10.034
Rio MRT05-01 FP1 P21 21 laps 1:10.493 / FP2 P22 25 laps 1:11.328
- A funny old day. Bright sunshine this morning, then a weather transformation for FP2. How was that for you?
- Well, we were expecting it; the forecast was pretty accurate. Everything was okay for me. Of course, we wanted to drive more and work through more of the test programme, but at the end of the day it’s the same for everyone. We didn’t manage to complete a run on the ultrasoft tyre but at this stage I’m happy with the car, particularly at the end of the day.
- This isn’t your first taste of this circuit but how are you finding it this weekend?
- I’ve known this track for some time and I like it. It’s high speed with fast corners and good opportunities to overtake, so in general it’s nice to drive.
- A few frustrations today but it looks like things were starting to turn around towards the end of FP2?
- Yes, this morning we tried a few different set-up changes and everything was going well but then unfortunately I made a mistake, spun off and that destroyed the tyres. On the positive side we knew we had a reasonable balance and we were confident in the direction for FP2. This afternoon the weather changed and conditions were very tricky, but 20 minutes before the end we had a reasonably dry track to play with and we could start to make good progress again. For the last run I took on the ultrasoft tyres but the yellow flags came out for the spin by Vettel. Although I wasn’t able to improve the lap time because of that, I think we’re in a good place for tomorrow.
- How are you finding the Red Bull Ring circuit?
- My first impressions are that the track is much smoother and generally better than in my previous years of racing here in another formula. I think there is more grip all round, so yes, I’m enjoying it.
A word with Dave Ryan, Racing Director:
“Today was one of those days where we had a bit of everything. We had great weather for FP1, although quite a slippery track to start off with, and then for FP2 just enough time for one quick run on a dry track before the heavy rain stopped play for a bit. We finished off on a rapidly drying track that was good enough for slicks in the final 15 minutes or so. Great stuff and very enjoyable – challenging for the drivers and certainly challenging for the team. Taking everything into account we are quite comfortable in that we know we have made good improvements to the car since Baku and I’m looking forward to qualifying tomorrow, which hopefully will be dry.”