Don’t Let The Sun Go Down On Me – 2015 Abu Dhabi GP, Friday
Friday 27th November
Lotus F1 Team set the tenth and 15th fastest times in the first day of running for the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix at the Yas Marina Circuit. With both sessions conducted in the afternoon, Pastor Maldonado and Jolyon Palmer ran in FP1 with Pastor and Romain Grosjean in FP2. A water leak with Jolyon’s car in FP1 precluded extensive running whilst a fuel tank related issue impacted on Romain’s FP2. Pirelli’s soft (yellow) and super soft (red) tyres were in use.
Alan Permane, Trackside Operations Director – Technical programme notes
- Pastor completed a revised run programme in the morning due to the technical issues with Jolyon’s car, including running front wing evaluations.
- Jolyon’s car experienced a water leak in preparation for FP1; this was fixed during the course of FP1 to enable Jolyon to complete nine laps.
- Romain and Pastor ran through set-up and tyre evaluations in FP2 and Romain ran further front wing evaluations.
- Romain’s car was delayed in the garage during FP2 with a fuel tank related issue.
- Pirelli’s soft (yellow) compound was used in the first session, the soft and super soft (red) in the second session.
What we learned today:
- The E23 Hybrid has further potential to be unleashed here.
Jolyon Palmer, E23-04
Free practice 1: P18, 1:46.501, 9 laps
Jolyon: “It was good to get even just a handful of laps today and the crew did a great job to get the car fixed. When I saw the car stripped down before FP1 I certainly didn’t expect to be lapping before the end of the session. I pushed hard for the laps we had and I did have a bit of a spin, but no harm done.”
Romain Grosjean, E23-04
Free practice 2: P15, 1:43.929, 27 laps
Romain: “It’s been a frustrating day as time in my car was limited in both sessions and with me only driving FP2 we’re quite a bit behind where we hoped to be. We have quite a bit of work on the set-up to get it to my liking. Everyone at the track has worked really hard over the past 36 hours and I want to be able to give them a great reward tomorrow.”
Pastor Maldonado, E23-03
Free practice 1: P9, 1:45.314, 29 laps
Free practice 2: P10, 1:43.431, 37 laps
Pastor: “Today was pretty straight forward and we’ve made good progress. We’ve completed a pretty full programme and we know where we want to go with the car. There haven’t been any surprises for us today so we’re pretty happy and looking forward to tomorrow.”
Alan Permane, Trackside Operations Director: “We’ve displayed quite reasonable pace here today which is a credit to all of the crew who have worked in a very tight timeframe. Jolyon was able to complete a handful of laps despite a water leak from his car delaying his track time whilst Pastor was able to set solid laps straight out of the box and his side of the garage had a solid day. Romain’s car experienced a fuel tank related issue and he wasn’t happy with his car, but there’s nothing we shouldn’t get rectified for tomorrow.”