21 May 2015
MONACO GP – THURSDAY PRACTICE
First Practice Session: Position: 3, Best Time: 1:19.086, Laps: 27
Second Practice Session: Position: 16, Best Time: 1:19.639, Laps: 13
“The car felt good today, I think we’re more or less where we need to be and on the right track. With each passing race, we are managing issues better and if we put a good lap in for quali, we’ll hopefully be in a good position. I think some teams are catching up to Ferrari but it will still require a big effort to get in front of them. But hopefully we can get ahead of the Williams. We’ll see how we go on Saturday.”
First Practice Session: Position: 7, Best Time: 1:19.520, Laps: 33
Second Practice Session: Position: 5, Best Time: 1:18.548, Laps: 16
“The car felt alright today and we are heading in a good direction I think; I did a couple of good times. Monaco is a unique track, a bit unusual and I think the package we have is working well so far. We had a limited run in second practice because of the rain, but we were able to get enough laps in the wet to get a feel for how the car handles. The re-surfacing has made the track slightly smoother and changes to the swimming pool entry are good. We have the day off tomorrow here and we’ll start again on Saturday with better weather hopefully.”
Standfirst: It’s Monaco and that means our supersized, seafaring Energy Station is back. It also means there’s a temptation to live the Monaco life in just as large a way. Now, as far as we’re concerned that’s all good but, having consulted Miss Manners, we’d like to offer this handy guide to Monaco Red Bull Energy Station Etiquette…
1. At some stage during the weekend you will feel an irresistible urge to tear off your clothes and jump into the Energy Station swimming pool. Unless you are a contracted Calvin Klein underwear model or are in possession of a race-winner’s cape then resist that urge.
2. No matter how ‘rad’ and ‘gnarly’ you were in your teen years, you cannot – we repeat CANNOT – ride a BMX bike around the upper deck like Danny Macaskill. http://www.infiniti-redbullracing.com/video/danny-macaskills-monaco-red-bull-energy-station-flip
3. If you do feel like taking a dive overboard, make sure that you have, a) won a grand prix in the last 10 minutes, and b) have a full complement of vaccines.
4. Be nice to the DJs. It is polite to ask them for that bangin’ white label floor-filler you heard him or her play on that underground club night in New York last weekend. However, it is impolite to ask for Whigfield’s Saturday Night or to ask for, “You know, that record… by that guy? It kind of goes, la, la, la and then it has, you know, a breakdown section where it goes shwwoooooiiiiiioo-aahh.”
5. Don’t wear sunglasses after the sun has officially set. You just look silly, or like a reality TV star.
6. When TV crews are filming ‘colour footage’ on the lower deck, resist the temptation to get in shot with your mate, while pointing at bits of the show car and then pretending to turn an imaginary steering wheel while discussing set-up.
7. Don’t frighten the celebrities. A selfie with a movie star is OK. Inviting the same star to, a) father your children, or b) come and live in the dungeon beneath your house is not.
8. Finally, here’s the list’s only must-do. Do… relax. It’s Monaco and it can get pretty weird, so just chill out, enjoy the ride, dance your ass off and have fun, you’re among friends.