Tom Jackson finished the day fastest as he edged out Sean Walkinshaw Racing’s Jordan Albert by just 0.002s around Silverstone’s Grand Prix Circuit in the final test session on Friday. The top-four was covered by a remarkably close 0.045s with Harri Newey in third with Indian driver Akhil Rabindra fourth. The Lanan Racing car of Rodrigo Fonseca rounded out the top-five.
The HHC Motorsport pairing of Harri Newey and Will Palmer set the initial benchmark pace when the session went green as changeable conditions tested all the drivers. Newey posted a 2m15.014s, 1.702s faster than his team-mate before the red flags came out to bring the session to a halt.
After a near 10-minute delay, the cars were allowed back out on track and Newey immediately improved his time to a 2m24.543s, as the track began to dry with the day’s rain having come to a halt. Behind, Riki Christodoulou, deputising for Faisal Al Zubair, moved into second and Akhil Rabindra took third with a 2m25.310s.
The red and yellow Chris Dittmann Racing car of Jackson then hit the front with a 2m24.311s but Harri Newey hit back also immediately to go 0.513s quicker. With 15 minutes remaining in the day’s action, Newey led Jackson, Christodoulou, Bartholomew and Rabindra. That top-five was soon interrupted however as Jordan Albert claimed second spot with a 2m24.262s.
A back-and-forth battle developed between Newey, Albert and Jackson with the latter reclaiming top spot from HHC driver Newey by just 0.029s with just over 10 minutes remaining. Rodrigo Fonseca moved up to fourth in his Lanan Racing car with Will Palmer just behind in fifth.
With Jackson on top, Albert came mighty close to knocking him off the head of the standings but posted a lap just 0.002s shy of his rivals time around the 3.660-mile circuit. The red flags then came out for a second time in the session which effectively ended the shoot-out for top spot. The track did go green again with five minutes left but nobody was able to work sufficient temperature into their tyres to improve.
The chequered flag came out and Jackson headed Albert, Newey, Rabindra and Fonseca. Christodoulou took sixth with Palmer, Chris Mealin, Jack Bartholomew and Fernando Urrutia the rest of the top-10.
Friday fourth test session – Silverstone Grand Prix
1. Tom Jackson, Chris Dittmann Racing, 2m23.769s
2. Jordan Albert, SWR, +0.002s
3. Harri Newey, HHC Motorsport, +0.029s
4. Akhil Rabindra, Douglas Motorsport, +0.045s
5. Rodrigo Fonseca, Lanan Racing, +0.560s
6. Riki Christodoulou, Hillspeed, +0.770s
7. Will Palmer, HHC Motorsport, +0.772s
8. Chris Mealin, Lanan Racing, +1.047s
9. Jack Bartholomew, Lanan Racing, +1.222s
10. Fernando Urrutia, Douglas Motorsport, +1.681s
11. Sisa Ngebulana, HHC Motorsport, +2.780s
12. Sebastian Lanzetti, Hillspeed, +3.489s
13. Zubair Hoque, SWR, +3.538s
14. Ciaran Haggerty, Ecurie Ecosse/GBR, +3.810s
15. Michael O’Brien, Mark Godwin Racing, +4.027s
16. Omar Ismail, Chris Dittmann Racing, +5.349s
17. Ameya Vaidyanathan, Hillspeed, +6.916s
-. Hernan Fallas, Mark Godwin Racing, No time set
-. James Reveler, 23 Racing, No time set