ART Grand Prix driver fastest at Circuit Ricardo Tormo
German Marvin Kirchhöfer posted the quickest time on the opening day of pre-season testing at Circuit Ricardo Tormo. The ART Grand Prix driver clocked a 1:21.098 set in the afternoon session. Campos Racing’s Alex Palou registered the fastest time in the morning test.
A cloudy morning greeted the GP3 Series paddock for day one of pre-season testing. There were two changes to the driver line-up in comparison to the Estoril test last month. Kevin Korjus returned to Koiranen GP covering for Adderly Fong who has Lotus F1 Team commitments, whilst Samin Gomez completes the Campos Racing line-up in the #25 car.
Following the early installation laps, local driver Palou was first to set the pace. It was a quiet start to proceedings with the majority drivers choosing to remain in their garage whilst waiting for the optimum time to put their medium compound Pirelli tyres to good use. Each driver has five sets available to them during the two day test.
At the midway point Jenzer Motorsport’s Ralph Boschung led the way, a mere 0.005s quicker than the Campos Racing rookie before the Spaniard reclaimed his position at the top of the timesheet – breaking into the 1m21’s. Palou improved on his best time as the session came towards an end, whilst Esteban Ocon got the better of Kirchhöfer in the final moments of the session.
At the chequered flag behind Palou, Ocon and Kirchhöfer was Trident’s Oscar Tunjo and Luca Ghiotto. Alfonso Celis. Jr, Jann Mardenborough, Seb Morris, Kevin Ceccon and Kevin Korjus completed the top ten.
Following the two hour break, Palou was the early pace setter yet again and first to lap in 1m21’s for the afternoon session. At the midway point Pal Varhaug went top with Emil Bernstorff hot on his tails. However, Ocon had other ideas and shot to the head of the timings.
As the positions swapped with 30 minutes left on the clock, Ocon, Varhaug, Jimmy Eriksson and Mardenborough were covered by just 0.093s showing how competitive the field is. Palou delivered an even better lap to return to the top of the pack, two tenths faster than the Frenchman until Kirchhöfer found some extra pace to claim P1. Ghiotto jumped up to P2, two tenths adrift of the German as the session drew to a close.
At the chequered flag it finished as Kirchhöfer, Ghiotto, Ocon, Palou, Korjus and Varhaug. Bernstorff, Tunjo, Matthew Parry and Eriksson rounded out the top ten. The top 17 drivers were separated by less than one second in a hotly fought session. The second and final day of testing in Valencia will run from 09.00 – 12.00 with a one hour break for lunch. The afternoon session will commence at 13.00 and end at 16.00 – local times apply.
Valencia: Day 1
Driver Team Laptime Laps
1. Alex Palou Campos Racing 1:21.269 28
2. Esteban Ocon ART Grand Prix 1:21.372 24
3. Marvin Kirchhöfer ART Grand Prix 1:21.848 25
4. Oscar Tunjo Trident 1:21.916 24
5. Luca Ghiotto Trident 1:21.918 28
6. Alfonso Celis. Jr ART Grand Prix 1:22.017 25
7. Jann Mardenborough Carlin 1:22.158 18
8. Seb Morris Status Grand Prix 1:22.190 26
9. Kevin Ceccon Arden International 1:22.306 24
10. Kevin Korjus Koiranen GP 1:22.361 17
11. Alex Fontana Status Grand Prix 1:22.374 24
12. Ralph Boschung Jenzer Motorsport 1:22.393 38
13. Jimmy Eriksson Koiranen GP 1:22.539 22
14. Antonio Fuoco Carlin 1:22.553 19
15. Emil Bernstorff Arden International 1:22.595 19
16. Mitchell Gilbert Carlin 1:22.645 17
17. Matheo Tuscher Jenzer Motorsport 1:22.653 37
18. Pal Varhaug Jenzer Motorsport 1:22.712 32
19. Sandy Stuvik Status Grand Prix 1:22.833 30
20. Matthew Parry Koiranen GP 1:22.878 18
21. Zaid Ashkanani Campos Racing 1:22.880 23
22. Artur Janosz Trident 1:22.999 23
23. Aleksander Bosak Arden International 1:23.351 33
24. Samin Gomez Campos Racing 1:25.019 26
Driver Team Laptime Laps
1. Marvin Kirchhöfer ART Grand Prix 1:21.098 29
2. Luca Ghiotto Trident 1:21.288 41
3. Esteban Ocon ART Grand Prix 1:21.309 35
4. Alex Palou Campos Racing 1:21.319 47
5. Kevin Korjus Koiranen GP 1:21.530 34
6. Pal Varhaug Jenzer Motorsport 1:21.531 34
7. Emil Bernstorff Arden International 1:21.532 45
8. Oscar Tunjo Trident 1:21.556 27
9. Matthew Parry Koiranen GP 1:21.580 22
10. Jimmy Eriksson Koiranen GP 1:21.581 26
11. Jann Mardenborough Carlin 1:21.604 50
12. Alex Fontana Status Grand Prix 1:21.642 39
13. Alfonso Celis. Jr ART Grand Prix 1:21.694 44
14. Ralph Boschung Jenzer Motorsport 1:21.876 34
15. Seb Morris Status Grand Prix 1:21.896 31
16. Antonio Fuoco Carlin 1:21.899 39
17. Matheo Tuscher Jenzer Motorsport 1:21.920 31
18. Sandy Stuvik Status Grand Prix 1:22.121 36
19. Zaid Ashkanani Campos Racing 1:22.184 37
20. Kevin Ceccon Arden Motorsport 1:22.374 42
21. Artur Janosz Trident 1:22.433 28
22. Mitchell Gilbert Carlin 1:22.989 48
23. Aleksander Bosak Arden International 1:23.423 33
24. Samin Gomez Campos Racing 1:23.969 33