Red Bull Junior Team’s Alex Lynn has started with maximum attack this weekend. The young Brit could seal the coveted GP3 crown in qualifying later today and he opened the final round of the 2014 season in the best possible style topping the first session. Status Grand Prix’s Nick Yelloly and ART Grand Prix’s Marvin Kirchhöfer completed the top three.
In a change of the normal schedule, GP3 began the proceedings on Friday with the forty-five minute practice run in the morning. There are several changes to the driver line-up: Chinese rookie Ling Kang joins Trident, running in the #23 car, whilst Ryan Cullen returns to the Series – also with the Italian squad in the #24 machine.
Dino Zamparelli headed the timings early on whilst Richie Stanaway missed a large portion of the session due to technical gremlins. Series leader Lynn was first to lap in the 1m58’s with twenty minutes left on the clock. Kirchhöfer was on a charge though and bettered the Brit’s time, dipping into the 1m57’s, almost three tenths faster.
Dean Stoneman – the only driver who can prevent Lynn from taking the title this weekend lit up the timing screens to go fastest as the positions began to tumble furiously in the final minutes. It was that man Lynn again though who posted the quickest sector two and three times to re-claim his spot at the top of the timesheet. Kirchhöfer did his best to match him, just shy of the Carlin driver, before Yelloly demoted the German to third as the chequered flag came out.
The final ten finished as: Lynn, Yelloly, Kirchhöfer, Stoneman, Patric Niederhauser, Alex Fontana, Patrick Kujala, Dino Zamparelli, Emil Bernstorff and Luis Sa Silva.
Qualifying takes place today (compared to it normally running on a Saturday). The thirty minute session will commence at 15:10 local time (GMT+4) and it could be the most decisive one of the year with Lynn potentially grabbing the title.
Free Practice – Yas Marina
Driver Team Laptime Laps
1. Alex Lynn Carlin 1:56.241 18
2. Nick Yelloly Status Grand Prix 1:56.268 18
3. Marvin Kirchhöfer ART Grand Prix 1:56.324 18
4. Dean Stoneman Koiranen GP 1:56.469 15
5. Patric Niederhauser Arden International 1:57.125 19
6. Alex Fontana ART Grand Prix 1:57.149 18
7. Patrick Kujala Trident 1:57.212 18
8. Dino Zamparelli ART Grand Prix 1:57.223 18
9. Emil Bernstorff Carlin 1:57.268 20
10. Luis Sa Silva Carlin 1:57.462 17
11. Pal Varhaug Jenzer Motorsport 1:57.502 21
12. Kevin Ceccon Jenzer Motorsport 1:57.533 19
13. Jann Mardenborough Arden International 1:57.545 18
14. Matheo Tuscher Jenzer Motorsport 1:57.616 19
15. Riccardo Agostini Hilmer Motorsport 1:57.787 18
16. Robert Visoiu Arden International 1:57.882 16
17. Jimmy Eriksson Koiranen GP 1:58.082 13
18. Richie Stanaway Status Grand Prix 1:58.707 11
19. Santiago Urrutia Koiranen GP 1:58.810 15
20. Ryan Cullen Trident 1:59.087 18
21. Alfonso Celis. Jr Status Grand Prix 1:59.189 16
22. Nelson Mason Hilmer Motorsport 1:59.195 17
23. Ling Kang Trident 2:01.129 18