The top ten cars were covered by just 0.623s ahead of next weekend’s penultimate round of the season at the Derby circuit.
Moore’s best time of 1m31.288s came in the third of four sessions, and is under the official F4 Donington Park lap record of 1m31.603s set by Charlie Robertson last year.
Russell, in second, was 0.072s clear of HHC Motorsport’s Will Palmer in third, with Douglas Motorsport’s Charlie Eastwood enjoying a competitive day with the fourth quickest time, 0.147s off Moore’s benchmark.
Championship challenger Raoul Hyman posted the fifth fastest time, just 0.151s off the overall best, with Jordan Albert continuing his strong form from Brands Hatch with the sixth fastest time for SWR – Caterham F1.
Sennan Fielding was seventh quickest ahead of Arjun Maini, with Gaetano di Mauro and Diego Menchaca completing the top-10 runners.
Moore commented: “This is the fourth round in a row where I’ve been quickest overall in testing, and I just need to make sure I can do this in a qualifying session! But this is definitely good for confidence ahead of next weekend.
“I went well here last year, the pace was good and I got a podium in the second race and lined-up fourth for the last race having set the fourth quickest time of the weekend. It’s clearly a circuit that suits me, but I’ve stepped up to another level with Lanan and that’s shown today, and in the last few rounds.
“Hopefully now I can go on to get some more podiums and wins next weekend. There are six more races this year and I’ve got nothing to lose.”
Also testing at Donington Park today were Kieran Vernon (Chris Dittmann Racing) and Bradley Smith (Mectech Motorsport). Vernon is Chris Dittmann Racing’s driver coach and was gathering data for the team ahead of the round next weekend, while Smith was continuing the Mectech team’s preparations ahead of the Winter Championship.
BRDC F4 Championship, Donington Park combined result:
1. Struan Moore, Lanan Racing, 1m31.288s
2. George Russell. Lanan Racing, +0.023s
3. Will Palmer, HHC Motorsport, +0.095s
4. Charlie Eastwood, Douglas Motorsport, +0.147s
5. Raoul Hyman, HHC Motorsport, +0.151s
6. Jordan Albert, SWR – Caterham F1, +0.187s
7. Sennan Fielding, HHC Motorsport, +0.258s
8. Arjun Maini, Lanan Racing, +0.271s
9. Gaetano di Mauro, Petroball, +0.416s
10. Diego Menchaca, Douglas Motorsport, +0.623s
11. Kieran Vernon, Chris Dittmann Racing, +0.892s
12. Alfredo Zabalza, Hillspeed, +1.129s
13. Rahul Mayer, Hillspeed, +1.172s
14. Michael Claessens, Mark Godwin Racing, +1.212s
15. Bradley Smith, Mectech Motorsport, 1.657s
16. Tom Bale, Chris Dittmann Racing, +2.325s
17. Connor Jupp, Meridian Racing, +2.384s
18. Jai Nijjar, Meridian Racing, +3.147s