Briton Dino Zamparelli posted the fastest time of the Free Practice session at the Hungaroring. He led an all ART Grand Prix trio with his teammates Alex Fontana and Marvin Kirchhöfer in second and third.
There was one change to the driver line-up for Round 5 of the 2014 GP3 Series with Austrian rookie Christopher Höher replacing Adderly Fong in the number 22 Jenzer Motorsport machine.
Warm temperatures set the set scene for the forty-five minute practice with Arden International’s Patric Niederhauser leading the way early on lapping in the 1m35’s. Zamparelli shot to P1 with the Status Grand Prix duo of Nick Yelloly and Richie Stanaway bettering his time to lockout the top spots.
Zamparelli was on the move again and split the Status Grand Prix duo with Fontana demoting Stanaway to fourth as the session reached the midway point. Yelloly was on a charge and flew to P1, a mere 0.127s faster than Zamparelli with most drivers opting to return to the pitlane for new Pirelli rubber.
Trident’s Roman De Beer was on a mission and headed the timesheet, being the first to break into the 1m34’s whilst Niederhauser was on a charge too lighting sectors one and three in purple to go top. The Swiss ace again improved on his second effort to re-enforce his position at the top of the timings.
Zamparelli was not done and as the clock ticked down, he put his head down and set the best lap of the session with a 1:33.901 with Fontana and Kirchhöfer close behind.
The session was red flagged with just over two minutes remaining after the quickest man of the session Zamparelli stopped on track with what looked like technical gremlins. Visoiu also had a moment as practice came to an end spinning, but he was able to return to the pitlane.
At the chequered flag, behind the ART Grand Prix trip of Zamparelli, Fontana and Kirchhöfer was: Emil Bernstorff (Carlin), Niederhauser, Mathéo Tuscher (Jenzer Motorsport), Jann Mardenborough (Arden International), De Beer, Visoiu and Mitchell Gilbert (Trident).
Qualifying takes place at 09.45 am local time tomorrow morning with pressure mounting on all drivers to deliver in their quest for pole position and the vital four bonus points.
Free Practice – Budapest
Driver Team Laptime Laps
1. Dino Zamparelli ART Grand Prix 1:33.901 17
2. Alex Fontana ART Grand Prix 1:34.246 17
3. Marvin Kirchhöfer ART Grand Prix 1:34.306 17
4. Emil Bernstorff Carlin 1:34.397 18
5. Patric Niederhauser Arden International 1:34.401 18
6. Mathéo Tuscher Jenzer Motorsport 1:34.424 18
7. Jann Mardenborough Arden International 1:34.515 18
8. Roman De Beer Trident 1:34.682 17
9. Robert Visoiu Arden International 1:34.790 17
10. Mitchell Gilbert Trident 1:34.902 19
11. Luis Sa Silva Carlin 1:34.939 16
12. Dean Stoneman Marussia Manor Racing 1:35.021 16
13. Patrick Kujala Marussia Manor Racing 1:35.034 19
14. Nick Yelloly Status Grand Prix 1:35.078 17
15. Pal Varhaug Jenzer Motorsport 1:35.098 18
16. Riccardo Agostini Hilmer Motorsport 1:35.170 19
17. Nelson Mason Hilmer Motorsport 1:35.275 19
18. Richie Stanaway Status Grand Prix 1:35.584 17
19. Jimmy Eriksson Koiranen GP 1:35.668 15
20. Alex Lynn Carlin 1:35.816 17
21. Sebastian Balthasar Hilmer Motorsport 1:35.957 20
22. Santiago Urrutia Koiranen GP 1:36.121 15
23. Ryan Cullen Marussia Manor Racing 1:36.214 18
24. Alfonso Celis. Jr Status Grand Prix 1:36.343 17
25. Christopher Höher Jenzer Motorsport 1:36.440 18
26. Carmen Jorda Koiranen GP 1:40.394 15