Silverstone Test – Day One
Date Tuesday 8 July
Track Silverstone International Circuit
Driver Nico Rosberg
No of Laps 90 laps
Best Lap Time 1:35.573
Kilometres Covered 530 km
Track Length 5.891 km
Weather Clear, windy, dry, mild
MERCEDES AMG PETRONAS began the third in-season test of 2014 at the Silverstone International Circuit today, with Nico Rosberg taking the wheel of the F1 W05 Hybrid for the first of two days’ running this week. Nico’s best time of 1:35.573 from 90 laps put him third on the time sheets.
• Today’s programme focussed on aero testing, brake cooling evaluations and engine system checks, plus set-up work.
• The team was also able to test some practice starts and run strategy checks for ERS.
• Pirelli’s hard and medium compound dry tyres were used in the morning, the medium again in the afternoon
• Nico emerged for his first run at 09:00 local time, with his car being the first to take to the circuit.
• Mercedes-Benz Power Units today completed a total of 1,660 km between all teams
It’s been a good day today. It’s so valuable to do these test days; over a race weekend it’s rare to get two runs in the day that are the same as tyres are getting old and conditions change but here we can always use new tyres, so we can really do some setup work that we don’t normally get to do. It was very useful and we learned a lot today. We will be able to use this information going into the next race. The British crowd has been brilliant this week and, even though they were cheering for Lewis, they showed a lot of respect for me and it was great to see the fantastic atmosphere they brought over the whole weekend. I’m now looking forward to taking our dominant Silver Arrow to Germany and racing at Hockenheim.
Pos. Driver Car Time Laps
1 Felipe Massa Williams 1:35.242 42
2 Daniel Ricciardo Red Bull 1:35.248 72
3 Nico Rosberg MERCEDES AMG PETRONAS 1:35.573 90
4 Adrian Sutil Sauber 1:35.674 74
5 Jules Bianchi Marussia 1:36.148 108
6 Stoffel Vandoorne McLaren 1:36.462 71
7 Sergio Perez Force India 1:36.583 79
8 Jean Eric Vergne Toro Rosso 1:36.688 28
9 Pastor Maldonado Lotus 1:37.131 97
10 Pedro De La Rosa Ferrari 1:37.988 49
11 Will Stevens Caterham 1:40.627 95