GP3 Series leader Alex Lynn has continued his success from Round 1 by taking pole position in Spielberg. The Brit ended up on top of the pack by 0.023s ahead of Alex Fontana (ART Grand Prix) and Dean Stoneman (Marussia Manor Racing).
The thirty minute shoot-out for pole position was run in cool temperatures but dry conditions with Richie Stanaway (Status Grand Prix) leading the way. After ten minutes it was Lynn at the head of the timesheet with Stoneman lapping just 0.026s shy off his fellow countryman.
A few moments later Stoneman had an excursion into the gravel on his hot lap and was very lucky to avoid making contact with the barrier and was able continue with his session. At the midway point Lynn led Stoneman, Mathéo Tuscher, Marvin Kirchhöfer and Stanaway.
The drivers returned to the pits for a new set of Pirelli tyres for their next attempt to fight for the elusive pole position and the vital four points assigned to it. Kirchhöfer and Patrick Kujala (Marussia Manor Racing) both snuck up to P1, whilst Lynn on his best attempt to date was caught behind traffic and unable to improve.
Kujala bettered his own time and held provisional pole for a short time as the times tumbled in the dying moments. Fontana grabbed P1 but Lynn was on a mission and set the fastest time of the session with a 1:20.585. At the chequered flag Lynn held the coveted pole whilst Stoneman and Fontana both achieved their best ever grid positions in the category.
Emil Bernstorff, Kujala, Jimmy Eriksson, Kirchhöfer, Stanaway, Nick Yelloly and Luis Sa Silva completed the top ten. All three Carlin drivers qualified in the first ten with a personal best qualifying for the Angolan driver Sa Silva.
You don’t have long to wait for all the action – Race 1 will commence at 17.20 local time today – and after what qualifying delivered – it should provide a thrilling encounter.
Driver Team Laptime Laps
1. Alex Lynn Carlin 1:20.585 19
2. Alex Fontana ART Grand Prix 1:20.608 18
3. Dean Stoneman Marussia Manor Racing 1:20.664 17
4. Emil Bernstorff Carlin 1:20.693 19
5. Patrick Kujala Marussia Manor Racing 1:20.744 18
6. Jimmy Eriksson Koiranen GP 1:20.797 19
7. Marvin Kirchhöfer ART Grand Prix 1:20.863 17
8. Richie Stanaway Status Grand Prix 1:20.974 16
9. Nick Yelloly Status Grand Prix 1:21.071 16
10. Luis Sa Silva Carlin 1:21.142 18
11. Riccardo Agostini Hilmer Motorsport 1:21.149 18
12. Dino Zamparelli ART Grand Prix 1:21.168 18
13. Nelson Mason Hilmer Motorsport 1:21.193 17
14. Mathéo Tuscher Jenzer Motorsport 1:21.225 18
15. Jann Mardenborough Arden International 1:21.227 17
16. Patric Niederhauser Arden International 1:21.236 18
17. Robert Visoiu Arden International 1:21.309 19
18. Santiago Urrutia Koiranen GP 1:21.382 17
19 Roman De Beer Trident 1:21.491 17
20. Alfonso Celis. Jr* Status Grand Prix 1:21.591 17
21. Pal Varhaug Jenzer Motorsport 1:21.654 18
22. Adderly Fong Jenzer Motorsport 1:21.908 17
23. Victor Carbone Trident 1:22.125 17
24. Nikolay Martsenko Hilmer Motorsport 1:22.171 18
25. Ryan Cullen Marussia Manor Racing 1:22.259 17
26 Carmen Jorda Koiranen GP 1:23.802 17
*Alfonso Celis.Jr has a 5 place grid penalty after Barcelona Race 2