An enthralling GP3 qualifying session at the Circuit de Catalunya saw rookie Alex Lynn achieve his maiden pole position in Round 1 of the 2014 Series. ART Grand Prix’s Marvin Kirchhöfer will join the Brit on the front row. Richie Stanaway (Status Grand Prix) will start from third.
The thirty minute qualifying session got underway with a track temperature of 21 degrees. The 27 drivers fed onto the track, eager to see who could secure the first points on offer with four points for the coveted pole position. Dino Zamparelli (ART Grand Prix) and Jimmy Eriksson were first to exit the pitlane. Following the installation laps, it was Zamparelli who was first to lap in the 1m36’s, until Eriksson and Alex Fontana bettered his time.
Kirchhöfer shot into P1, a position he held the majority of the session, the German rookie showing his pace to the rest of the pack but it was the Swede, Eriksson, who was first into the 1m35’s. The ART Grand Prix driver was back on it after lighting the timing screens purple and reclaimed back P1.
Stanaway flew up the order to P2 as the clock ticked down but it was Red Bull Junior team’s Lynn who set the quickest time of the session in a 1:35.614. Kirchhöfer did all he could to improve on the Brit’s time but had to be content with second fastest. There was a small spin for Dean Stoneman (Marussia Manor Racing) at the close of the session which was covered by yellow flags, whilst Patric Niederhauser (Arden International) stopped on track.
At the chequered flag, it was Lynn who topped the timings and earned four points for his efforts. Kirchhofer, Stanaway, Eriksson, Patrick Kujala, Zamparelli, Emil Bernstorff, Fontana, Pal Varhaug and Matheo Tuscher completed the top ten.
The opening race of the season will commence later today at 17.20 local time – find out who will become the first winner of the 2014 GP3 Series season!
Driver Team Laptime Laps
1. Alex Lynn Carlin 1:35.614 13
2. Marvin Kirchhöfer ART Grand Prix 1:35.726 13
3. Richie Stanaway Status Grand Prix 1:35.784 13
4. Jimmy Eriksson Status Grand Prix 1:35.904 12
5. Patrick Kujala Marussia Manor Racing 1:35.970 11
6. Dino Zamparelli ART Grand Prix 1:36.015 11
7. Emil Bernstorff Carlin 1:36.136 12
8. Alex Fontana ART Grand Prix 1:36.151 12
9. Pal Varhaug Jenzer Motorsport 1:36.165 13
10. Matheo Tushcer Jenzer Motorsport 1:36.210 14
11. Nick Yelloly Status Grand Prix 1:36.230 13
12. Patric Niederhauser Arden International 1:36.276 13
13. Dean Stoneman Marussia Manor Racing 1:36.375 11
14. Roman De Beer Trident 1:36.579 11
15. Robert Visoiu Arden International 1:36.711 12
16. Ryan Cullen Marussia Manor Racing 1:36.759 12
17. Adderly Fong Jenzer Motorsport 1:36.787 13
18. Jann Mardenborough Arden International 1:36.871 12
19. Victor Carbone Trident 1:37.023 12
20. Nelson Mason* Hilmer Motorsport 1:37.084 12
21. Luis Sa Silva Carlin 1:37.163 11
22. Santiago Urrutia Koiranen GP 1:37.166 11
23. Alfonso Celis. Jr Status Grand Prix 1:37.300 12
24. Beitske Visser Hilmer Motorsport 1:37.406 13
25. Ivan Taranov Hilmer Motorsport 1:38.071 5
26. Denis Nagulin Trident 1:38.203 12
27. Carmen Jorda Koiranen GP 1:38.694 12
*3 place grid penalty for technical infringement in Free Practice