Protyre_BARC_Renault_logoGrovewood Sport and the British Automobile Racing Club (BARC) are delighted to announce a four round Protyre Formula Renault Championship ‘Autumn Cup’ which will take place at Rockingham International Super Sports Car Circuit over the weekend 16th/17th November.

After another outstanding year for the one-make single-seater series, which crowned its main season champion – Chris Middlehurst – during the penultimate race meeting of the campaign last month at the Northamptonshire track, organisers are confident of a well-supported Autumn Cup.

One qualifying session and two races will be contested each day of the event and registrations for the championship are now open, with a closing date of Wednesday, 13th November. As well as the cars currently running in Protyre Formula Renault, pre-2006 Tatuus FR 2.0 chassis with the required engine restrictor in place will also be eligible to compete in a standalone class.

“We’re very happy to confirm a four round Autumn Cup, running the entire event across just one weekend makes it much more cost-effective for the teams and drivers and we’re hopeful of seeing a healthy line-up”, said championship promoter Simon North.

“We’re offering a lot of track time, which is so important for drivers who may be considering racing in Protyre Formula Renault next year. The schedule we’ve created, with one qualifying session each day, seems to be very popular with the teams.”

Protyre Formula Renault, which has evolved into one of the most important single-seater categories in Britain in recent seasons, has enjoyed consistently strong grids in 2013 with up to 20 drivers at any one event and no less than 11 nationalities from across the globe.

Mark Godwin, owner of 2013 championship winning squad MGR Motorsport, says the format of the newly announced Autumn Cup is ideal. Additionally, he is certain the series will prove popular with existing Protyre Formula Renault competitors and young drivers planning to make the step-up into the main championship in 2014.

“I’m fairly confident we should have two or three drivers”, said Godwin, “The car in Protyre Formula Renault is still the best out there at this level as far as I’m concerned. There is certainly good interest, if there are 15 drivers or so on the grid then it’ll be good and the series will have done well.

“The format is great, I think one qualifying and two races each day is ideal really, and it’s the best way for drivers to get proper race experience ahead of next year. I’m looking forward to it, hopefully it’ll be a strong series.”

MTECH Lite team manager Les Jones concurs with Godwin’s view, adding: “I think the fact there’s opportunity to do a couple of days testing beforehand at Rockingham is very positive, it’s a big ask for new drivers coming straight in so that will be helpful. We’re pushing ahead to attract some new guys, it is tough out there but with it being on one weekend you can put a sensible budget together.

“I’m glad there’s no clash with any other championships, that makes things easier, and it is a good opportunity to keep busy and for the teams to try and earn a bit more money. I’m excited about it and hopefully we’ll have a few cars out – we’re working hard on it.”

Along with headline sponsor Protyre, Formula Renault is additionally supported by Michelin, The Lubricant Consultancy, Petronas Syntium and NGK Spark Plugs.