BAHRAIN GP – FRIDAY PRACTICE
CAR 2, MARK WEBBER
First Practice Session: Position: 7, Best Time: 1:35.101, Laps: 19
Second Practice Session: Position: 2, Best Time: 1:34.184, Laps: 26
“I would have liked to have got some more running in P2, but I still think we learned what we expected today. Saturdays are perhaps becoming less important overall than they used to be, but they’re still important in terms of traffic. You don’t want to be in too much traffic on Sunday, as the tyres don’t like being disturbed and wear more which will shorten your first stint – so you still need to be in a good position. We still have areas to improve on the car. Lotus and Ferrari look strong and Mercedes is there too.”
CAR 1, SEBASTIAN VETTEL
First Practice Session: Position: 4 Best Time: 1:34.790, Laps: 20
Second Practice Session: Position: 3, Best Time: 1:34.282, Laps: 29
“It’s pretty close. If you look at the opposition then Ferrari and Lotus were strong today and I think it will be close in qualifying. It’s important to work with the tyres around the track. I wasn’t so happy with my short runs today – but that’s why we have the Friday practice sessions I guess; I was happier with the longer runs. The tyres still seem to be the dominating factor. The car seems quick, so we have to make sure we use that and then we should be on the right page.”
After all the serious business of the day, here are five fast facts from Mark:
Mark Webber’s Top 5… Tracks we should race on, but don’t…
1. Brands Hatch Grand Prix Circuit – for the undulation, fantastic. They’d need to move the safety on a little bit but… just great.
2. Imola – I loved going there. Again for the rise and fall of the track. It’s really beautiful. Fantastic atmosphere, great location tucked into the village there. The history.
3. The Nordschleife – It’s got to be in there, but probably just from a road car perspective. Fantastic. I love it. It has to be in there, but not from an F1 perspective really.
4. The Red Bull Ring in Austria – That’s a really nice little track. A good place to drive an F1 car with that run up to turn two, some pretty quick corners… it’s a nice lap.
5. Watkins Glen – I’ve never driven it but it looks good on TV. Love to have a go.